Monday, August 24, 2015

Italy

So I made it safely to Italy and it's incredible! But first on Sunday
I gave a talk with the other writings and then sang with the Nashville
tribute band for devotional. It was super spiritual.
Then we got up early on Monday and took the train to the airport and
flew all the way until Tuesday. We stopped in New York and I talked
with this really cool guy from India. And after we went and saw the
temple Tuesday night. It's not done yet but there working on it. We
stayed at the villa with the mission president and his wife that
night. They had to do interviews and give us iPads the next day so we
spent time at the church and the colosseum. We then got our golden
envelopes with our areas and trainers and I was assigned to serve with
anziano Martin in ragussa which is this older city in the southern
half of Sicily. So I went on a train all Thursday down through Italy
and I got zero sleep for 4 days but it was fun. I made a lot of
friends with the missionaries.
I got to Catania,which is my zone headquarters and it was really late
so my trainer and I stayed with the zone leader in Catania. I did get
to hand out my first Book of Mormon that night and eat some real
Italian food. They say that Sicily has the best food so I got lucky
with that. We came to ragussa the next day and got everything in our
apartment which took like another day. We have an investigator whose
moving to Canada but we went and had horse burgers with him that night
and he's excited and sad to leave. He's super intelligent and I'm sad
he's taking off so soon.  He has little questions that aren't so
important that he gets caught up in.
Saturday we went to the hospital because one of the sisters converts
husband died and we helped her with that. We actually went to the
funeral today too and I just felt so sorry for all the people. We
talked to some guys there and they might want to take the missionary
discussions so that part was good. They have these houses for everyone
when people die which is really different from America. It must be
super hard for these people to have to pay for the funeral.
The church here is kinda big, we have one of the few stand alone
chapels in Italy and it looks like a doll house haha. :) I like it
though. I bore my testimony in Italian on Sunday and that was an
adventure with my limited vocabulary.  I did fine though and
understood most of what people said. The people down here have a nice
accent that I get to deal with.
My comp is super sweet, he's from Provo and went to byu for a year. He
learned the language really fast so hopefully I can replicate it. We
get to eat dinners at members houses on Sunday's and it's super good
and super huge. We ate yesterday with these old people that are super
funny. It'll be better when I can communicate more and let my
personality show but I know the lord will bless me as I use what I
have to communicate with his children.
I love and miss you all
Anziano Whiting


Since we got Ipads in our area we can have use the cloud albums to upload pictures throughout the week. So the pictures I take with my ipad will be uploaded whenever I get wifi. I won't be able to comment to anyone unless its pday but you would be able to see more pictures. So let me know if anyone else wants to be in the photo group and you would need an apple device.

Thanks love Anziano Whiting


The mainland






No comments:

Post a Comment